Tuesday, December 13, 2016

ADHD

I'm ADHD. It's tough some times. This will be fun to do on an open mic. It gets pretty crazy. This is how I  explain the feeling of being ADHD...it's like going to the scariest movie you've ever seen and your body is humming with energy. Got the picture. Now consider staying that way all the time. No off button. Welcome to my world. Add on twenty people talking to you saying very important things and you don't know which one to focus on YIKES!

I woke up this morning a bit confused 
ready go to the kitchen and swallow my pills

They help my mind get straight
If I don’t take them by 8 
it’s too late
---

I look at the clock Oh No I over slept
---

My thoughts start to gather and circle the room
I try to grab one but it escapes

Words play bumper cars in my head
soon it feels like lead
my marbles start to fall all over the floor

I try to walk but the marbles roll like tin cans
under my feet
---

Can’t get to the kitchen
my journey is incomplete

Time is not my friend
if the clock hits nine
I am running out of time

Soon my life will be in turmoil
I will become agitated
Befuddlement will take over
---

I need a plan
there must be something I can fixate on
that’s the only way to calm me

To focus on that one thing I can’t resist
helps untwist my reasoning
---

I search the room turning my head this way and that
hoping my eyes will see that one thing
what will it be

It needs to grab me
like a cowboys lasso
around a squirming calf
It has to pull me in
---

I start to panic
It’s almost 10 
I know what happens then

The depression starts to tug on my sanity
soon profanity will fly from my mouth
---
That’s not helpful
---

I continue my inspection
I survey the room

I squint to enhance my focus 
things are getting bleak
--
I try not to freak out
---
Dreariness is seeping from my soul
the heaviness is slowing me down
I feel like I will soon drown

Eleven is around the corner

By then I want to sleep
to get away from the gloom
that’s now encompassing my room
---

My eyes are getting heavy
oh no I cry 

Don’t do that do not dare slumber
that will encumber the tasks for the day

I give my cheeks a slap
hoping to keep awake

For goodness sake
this is getting crazy
---

My attention is hard to find
it wants to doze

Come on Lynn I start to scream
stay with me babe stay with me

I bounce up and down with desire
keep trying to get higher
start to target on reaching the ceiling

Come on girlie you can do it
touch that beam I shout out loud 
---

I stare and stare focused on the tiny crack on the timber
Oh yeah babe you got this

My brain is aroused 
it springs to life while I dive in the air like I just don’t care

This is it
my thing
my one thing

This is it I shriek
---

I race race race to the kitchen 
need to get there before noon when I turn into a buffoon 

I make it

there’s enough energy in my body to run ten refrigerators for a year
I feel like I will erupt
---

I get my glass of water then inhale my pills

I will soon be serene
won’t that be keen

Still time to complete my projects 

Better add inspecting my alarm to the list
don’t want to blunder again tomorrow 
that brings stress and great sorrow.

By Lynn Hahn

No comments:

Post a Comment