Sunday, December 4, 2016

MILLION DOLLAR BABY

I am doing my first open mike December 9th. This is a 3 minute poem about my much loved dog. It starts with a song...can't sing it on paper lol so I'll just put it in italics. It is a cute song. I sang it to her while I walked her.

She's a one eyed itchy bitchy gimpy girl
a one eyed itchy bitchy gimpy 

she's a one eyed itchy bitchy gimpy girl
she's a million dollar baby that's for sure
---
What can I say about Betty
she was ready
for whatever life brought

She never complained
no matter how much pain
she was in

She was my hero
---

She lost her eye when she was small
kissed and licked everyone thru it all

Never aggressive
did not blame people
just grateful for help

Her knees went bad soon after she lost her eye
can't understand why
she had to go thru so much

She went thru therapy
her trainer could not love her more
she wanted to please him
well the treats helped some
---
We had two good years before things
went bad again

This time it was all her skin
she was allergic to everything

Everything

Even the people she adored

This was the worst
---

We tried every type of solution
there was no resolution

I opened my wallet wide
let the doctors have all that was inside

It did no good
---

I watched her struggle every day
wondering if she would get better

She would have gone on forever
if I would have let her
just to be with me

Would that be fair

No
---

Her pain level was off the charts
did not stop her from breaking hearts
with her playful way

Had to greet all
beg them to play ball
she loved to fetch

She had a duckie that was her best friend
she carried it in her mouth everywhere she went
waiting for someone to toss it

She would leap in the air to catch it
so high
caught it most every time
---

She slept by my side
her body so warm

Her temperature ran hot
normal that was not
it was part of the problem

Her breeder did not care about health
just beauty

Felt it was her duty
to make pretty dogs
so she could sell them and make money

The puppies that were sick
seldom got picked
---
I saved Betty
or did she save me
not sure which

Because she touched my life
in a way I did not expect
---

I do not regret
having known her

She passed when not quite six
seemed so wrong

But I had to be strong
and let her run with the others like her
who spent a short time on this earth
making their owners lives worth
more than before
---

She was my million dollar baby in every way
I hope to see her again some day
when it is my time

I asked her to save me a place
I know that she will
just to be near me
like she use to be

So strange how our pets touch our hearts
help us learn about life

They're here for such a short time
but the lessons they teach last
forever.


By Lynn Hahn

No comments:

Post a Comment