Saturday, December 10, 2016

DRAMA QUEEN

I did my first open mic last night December 9, 2016.  So amazing sharing my own thoughts and words not those of some other writer. Got high! This is the next open mic piece I will be doing. It ends with me singing "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess. My mom would sing it to us with her beautiful voice when I was small. I can't sing here so just know I'm an amazing singer lol not really.

Born into a dwelling filled with creativity in the air
she breathed it in
it was like blood to her soul
oxygen needed to support her existence

It was a time when men were men
and women were women
little blending of roles

It did not fit her
it was the wrong size

She was one that needed to spread her wings
and fly with her talent

Live a life full of adventure
and rejection to hone in her craft

She craved to face the perils artists
encounter on their road to enlightenment
---
Instead she found herself in a sea of children
with no clue what to do with them

She wore a mask of sorrow
no hope for tomorrow

Figured each day would offer the same routine
change diapers
clean toilets
cook dinner

With her spare time she picked up her trumpet
and visited the sphere she ached for
kept up her embouchure
like she was preparing for her next gig

She drew paintings no one would ever see
and wrote books never finished
sang songs only her babies adored

Her glory days came when finances forced the need for her contribution
she worked as a reporter for a small newspaper
she was intoxicated by the acceleration she felt as she typed each word
her world was perfect
---
It was short lived

Soon she was taken from her birth blood
to a place where she had no roots

She did not fare well
moving from the sunshine in California
to the rain and doom Washington state often offers
was too much

She spent little time with me and my siblings
we were left to raise ourselves
fortunately we were now older out of diapers
and carrying school books

I watched her fade away
---
My father spent little time at home
he never recovered from the great depression
making money was his soul purpose in life

She was literally alone with just her trumpet, ampex tape recorder and dreams

She would put the telephone in the oven to prevent it from ringing
and ruining her latest recording
those were the days when the phone was plugged in the wall
not carried around in pockets or purses

The days became months the months became years
and her life remained the same

Drawing paintings no one would see
writing books never finished
had no babies to sing to
---
My siblings never caught the performers  urgency
it was passed to me

I was unaware of the infection until I was a teen
then it started to rear it’s beautiful head

My mother started to come to life thru
me

It was so beautiful to see

She kept a scrap book of all that I did
each newspaper article and magazine that mentioned my name
brought breathe to her hungry lungs

We started to speak more
I would send her letters from places I worked
and tell her stories about the world I was now in

I knew she would grin
when she opened the envelope and read what was within
---
Her mind started to leave her when she was too young
maybe from lack of use

Soon she could not read my words
she was now in another universe
one I hope to never visit

She passed when in her 90’s
she had her journalist pass crumpled in her bony wrinkled fingers
up to the end

It was her moment of glory
so glad she had it

She most likely is singing to the angels
with her beautiful voice
creating songs that will be heard by all

She was a drama queen the best of the best

Here’s to you mom
your baby girl is still at it.

By Lynn Hahn

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! I will be doing open mic with it next month. It helps to hear someone likes it. Don't want to get tomatoes thrown in my face lol

    ReplyDelete